If I’m being honest, I’ve struggled with meditation. From not knowing what to do or how and more than that figuring out how to quiet my mind sometimes is a challenge. But here’s a few tips that have helped me get started.
- Schedule it. Whether you start off your morning with meditation or make it a mid day break or part of of your evening routine. Set aside that time so you can intentionally start a meditation practice.
- Use an App. If you’re new to meditating, this is the best place to start. An app can guide you through the process and over time you may continue to use an app or develop a meditation practice that works best for you. If you need some suggestions, do a search in the Apps store or try these apps: Headspace and Calm.
- Start small. If you’re new to meditating don’t start out trying to meditate for 15 to 30 minutes, you may struggle and want to quit. Instead start with 5 minutes and grow from there by adding minutes each time you meditate.
- Don’t quit too soon. Whenever we start something new, it’s weird and we will feel awkward and wonder if we’re doing it right. Give yourself time to be a beginner and to figure it out.
- Do You Boo. When it comes to creating a meditation practice, once you learn the process, look for ways to make it your own and do what works best for you. When we do that, we’re more likely to keep going.
I hope these tips will inspire you to try meditation out.