As you know my word for the year is JOY. Well, in order to add a bit more joy into everyday, I knew I had to do some things differently when setting my goals for 2016. This year I used the Power Sheets workbook and I’m so glad I did. I loved the pre-work that you do with the Power Sheets that helps you uncover what really matters and what you truly want to focus on. The process that the Power Sheets walks you through helped me to set goals that not only align with my word for the year but also allowed me to focus on what truly matters.
If I’m going to fill my day with a bit more JOY, it means I need to look at all areas of my life to figure out where I needed to make some changes and from that I came up with a mix of business and personal goals that I’m really excited about this year.
So here are my goals in no specific order.
1. Streamline and automate business systems — By streamlining my business processes and systems, it gives me more time to spend time with friends and family and not staring at my computer doing administrative work that could easily be automated or streamlined. During 2015, this was one thing I was paying a lot of attention to, and I wanted to keep doing what worked and look for other areas where I could continue to streamline and automate.
2. Attend workshops and conferences — I love learning and enjoy picking up new skills or gaining information that will improve my business. I wanted 2016 to be a year where I learned something new for myself and business. I haven’t figured out what workshops or conferences I want to attend yet, but I’ve been checking out a few that I’m interested in so that I can start planning.
3. Continue to enhance customer experience — Customer experience is one area of business that I think is a continuous area of improvement. This year my focus is to enhance the customer experience with Scratch Paper Studio and make it more joyful. I’ve already made some changes but there are a few more that I’m working on to implement this year.
4. Make time for daily meditation — When I start my morning with some quiet time to be still, meditate, pray and plan, my day goes so much better than when I don’t. This year I’m making it a point to set aside time no matter what’s going on in my life to meditate. I started doing this in the Spring of 2015 and it’s one thing that brings me a lot of joy and I want to make sure in 2016 I continue to do this.
5. Make time to do more hobbies that I enjoy — When you run a business, it’s easy to let it take up all your time because it’s your passion. But, what I noticed is if I spend all my time on my business with no downtime, I’ll get burned out quickly. I’m making a point in 2016 to schedule more time doing things that make me happy. There are so many other hobbies I love doing and I want to make more time to do them. I started doing this at the end of 2015 and by doing other things I loved it was better for my business. When I would work on my business I was more focused and creative so I’m going to keep this going and I’ve even started a monthly happy list of things to try and do each month.
6. Send more mail — Yes as a stationery designer I love all things paper, but even I can get caught up in the hustle of everyday and not always write a note or send a fun card in the mail. Well, in 2016 I’m making a point to send more mail. One thing that truly brings me joy is doing something that makes others smile, so I want to do more of this in 2016 and hope you will send more #snailmail too!
7. Focus on Wellness — I had originally made a goal to run a 5k and 10k. While I still may do this in 2016, what I really wanted to do is focus on my overall wellness that means not just eating healthy but also getting more rest, protecting my time and not stretching myself out too thin, making a point to workout or to at least get out and go for a walk on those days when I don’t feel like working out. By making the promise to focus on my overall health it will bring continuous joy to my life now and for years to come. Now if I run a 5k or 10k this year, that will be a great bonus!
That’s it. These are my goals for 2016. Whether you have 1 or 10 goals that you want to make happen this year, I hope that mixed in that hustle is a bit of joy. If you’re curious about the happy list, it’s something new that I’m doing this year and hope to continue for years to come. The list will be posted here with a new list added each month . I hope you’ll join me in doing a few more things that make you happy this year!