Each week I share a self care tip on the blog and while I’m a big believer in self care, I feel the same way about Self Love and what better time to think about practicing more self love than during a month that’s focused on all things love.
It may seem like self care and self love are one in the same. While the concepts behind both are similar, their purposes are different. The best way to look at it is like this…
self care = caring for your mental and physical self
self love = loving who you are unapologetically.
While practicing self care is on trend right now, Self care doesn’t really work if you’re not showing yourself some love too. If you’re looking for some ways to practicing more self love, here’s a list of 7 ways to do just that.
- Give yourself a compliment-start the day with giving yourself a compliment. Share what you love about yourself. Whether you give yourself one or 5 compliments it’s a great way to start your day and speak to your self in a way that loves and celebrates who you are.
- Practice Gratitude– Gratitude is a great way to not only see the good in your life but all the good around you. Practicing daily gratitude helps us to see that even on tough days there is always something good to be thankful for.
- Eliminate the Comparisons– We’ve all heard that comparison is a thief of joy and it’s true. Make intentional steps to unfollow social media accounts that cause you to judge, compare or criticize yourself. Anything or anyone that makes you not feel good about you isn’t worth the follow. Replace those with sites and social media accounts that feed your soul and make you feel good.
- Stay Mindful of Your Thoughts. Thoughts definitely become things. Let’s be real, not everyday will be sunshine and rainbows, but by seeing the good even when things may not be going well is a key way to show yourself love and not beat yourself up. If you have a date when you’re struggling show yourself some grace and take time do something that makes you happy and fills you with joy to shift that negative to a positive.
- Practice Saying “NO”– As Oprah says, “No is a complete sentence.” While saying it sometimes isn’t easy, this is one of the smallest ways to practice self love. Saying No to activities or events that you just don’t want to do is a small and easy way to show yourself some love. Plus it will give you more time to say Yes to those things that you really want to be a part of.
- Listen to Your Body– creating a work out routine is a great way to show some love to yourself. Find a workout that is best for you and make an intention to workout a few times each week. Whatever gets you moving do it. While working out is good for you, it’s also good to listen to your body and to make time for rest when you’re tired too. Getting in tune with your body and knowing what your it needs is a great way to start caring for your body and showing yourself some love too.
- Do something that makes you happy. Whether it’s a hobby, a workout routine or just reading a book, doing something that makes you happy.
Bonus: Set boundaries and be clear about those boundaries. One thing I’ve learned the hard way is the only one who will love and care about me is me and I have to advocate for myself and that is by setting boundaries being clear about them. The moment I started protecting my time, schedule, and what I’d tolerate from people everything changed. Not everyone will like it when you set boundaries and they don’t have to, but they’ll respect it.
How are you going to show yourself more self love? What intentional action are you going to start doing? Leave me a comment and let me know what resonated with you.