What’s your email inbox look like? Mine is a mix of business, newsletters and other things I was signed up for without my permission or recollection. If you’re email is a hot mess like mine, this weeks self care tip will benefit you just as much as it’s benefiting me. Here’s what I’m doing. I’m unsubscribing from all the things that don’t serve me or my business. Since I have a personal and business email accounts, I’ll be going through and doing this twice. But here’s the reason why this is so key to self care. A cluttered email box is stressful and overwhelming. I have found myself sifting through a bunch of emails I’m not reading to get to business emails and sometimes still missing them because of all the clutter in my inbox.
Whether you want to go old school and unsubscribe yourself from every newsletter or use a site like Unroll.Me to make it a quick and easy process do it! Once you clear out your inbox you’ll be so happy you did it. Before you get started, here are some quick tips that have helped me do this without feeling overwhelmed.
- Add it to your calendar. Clearing out your inbox isn’t something to do on the fly. Set aside some time to focus and clear out your inbox
- It’s a Marathon not a Sprint. What can be daunting is thinking we can’t stop until we have cleared out our inbox. Don’t believe that. Break this up. Tackle one thing at a time. First unsubscribe. Second delete old emails. Third organize your inbox. You don’t have to do it all at once by breaking it up completing this task won’t feel as stressful.
- Don’t be afraid to delete. For real, delete is your BFF in this process so use it with reckless abandon. It will feel so cathartic to clear out emails that don’t serve you so delete away my friend. Now if you unsubscribe or delete something you didn’t intend to, just go back and re-subscribe and pull that item from the trash and you’re all good.
- Celebrate. Seriously go do something good for yourself once you clear out that inbox. You deserve it.
- Set Parameters. Once you have cleared out all that email clutter. Set some parameters for yourself on what you will and will not subscribe to going forward. By doing this we can limit the things that come into our inbox and fill it up.
- Create a new email account. Yes, that’s right. If you don’t want to miss the email deals from your favorite shops or other businesses you love, create a separate email account that is solely for newsletters. This way it’s all in one space. It won’t fill up your inbox and you have all of those promo emails, coupons and business updates in one place.
While getting our email in order can be a daunting task, it’s so worth it. I hope these tips I’ve shared can help you out when you begin to clear out your inbox. Happy Saturday!